Saturday, October 20, 2012

Mo' Betta snatches



Things are starting to settle in very well. When my body cooperates a bit I can actually plan things a little and start using the progressive cycling that I know works so well; WHEN my body can handle it.

Seems to be doing alright. Another early morning start when I felt the need for movement not correctives or stretching and I got right into the workout. Strange as this is only happening on Saturdays, not during the week. I'll take it.

Alternating the different bell sizes each week and getting different current pr levels on each gives me a solid number to improve on in some way each week. Just a little different in each way. Same but different, as Pavel says.

So week one is the 20 and sets of 12/12, week two the 22 kg and sets of 8/8, three the 24 kg and sets of 5/5. Try to ramp up the total volume of sets as I can and when I hit 200 reps across the board, I'll bump the reps up on each weight and start over.

Today was the 22 kg

warmup swings
16 kg x 5/5 x 3

Snatch 16 kg x 5/5 x 2
            20 kg x 5/5
             24 kg x 8/8 x 10 sets
160 reps
7840 lbs

these were solid although not easy. The handle on this new bell is a bit slippery which actually helps. I can't overgrip it or pull too much or my grip feels it. Good feedback. And a good tell about my form which is getting better and more fluid all the time

One arm shield casts
10lbs x 10/10
15 lbs x 10/10
          x 15/15
          x 20/20 (pr)

the 20 reps were a serious challenge to my left side but definitely doable. Way better than even a month ago. Good sign of progress in strength and stability.

Pushup against bench
2 sets of 10
Pushups on Pbar handle ( horizontal)
2 sets of 8
Eccentric only floor pushup
1 x 10

this was good but not perfect. Shoulder moved around a bit on the full reps but didn't sublux. Have to find that sweet spot but way fast progress in the last two weeks.

BB laterals
2 x 10/10

cooked, that's all. We went fast ( for the three of us ) in the snatches and it was definitely tougher. Great to be able to work hard, that's for sure.

datsit.
Sisu/



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
You mention a new bell. Is that one of the Perform Better Kettlbells you have linked here on the side of your blog? If so any chance of a review? I need to get a 22KG bell and I have been considering one of those.

Mark Reifkind said...

I haven't gotten a new PB bell yet ( kinda of swimming in kbs lately )but a good friend just got his new 24 kg and said it's excellent.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...