Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Back off workout.



( 32 kg bottoms up cleans. Not bad but not perfect. Got them into position but didn't hold them. BUT it's 32 kg and I haven't even tried this in over a year and half! Felt strong too)

Both Glenn and I have wondered when the escalator ride to more strength and increased work capacity would end and we got our answer today. Today. :))
Nothing bad happened but we were both beat. After Saturday's stellar workout ( in both workload and energy) we both kind of crashed a bit and came into today's workout just a bit tuckered. Perfect. We were waiting for a sign we should back down and today was it.

Still got in a great workout ( and the above B/u cleans are recent bests) but we both knew it was time to start over a bit and ramp back up from the  bottom

6 am:

Full Rifga stretchout  upper and lower body. much needed.


1 pm

High pulls

16 kg x 5x5 x 2
20 kg x 5/5
24 kg x 8/8 x 8 sets
128 reps
6784 lbs

this was not easy,even though it should have been. smooth strong and fluid but it was work. groove and arc was very solid though.

Bottoms up cleans
18 kg x 3/3
22 kg x 3/3
24 kg x 2/2
28 kg x 2/2
32 kg  x 2/2

strange day to go for this but I knew I could make it. Will hold these solid very soon.

Belt squats
32 kg x 15 x 4 sets

not bad but nothing special

Pushups
P bars 1 x 5
Floor pushups 3 x 5!!! yes first full floor pushups in forever!


have to get my head up more. my old gymnastics habit are STILL in there! but it was awesome to regain this strength and pattern after all this time!
Sisu! Never Quit! The only way you won't get what you want is if you quit trying!

datsit.
Sisu/

8 comments:

Diana said...

I have never done a bottom's up clean....I'll have to take care of that!
Congrats on those push-ups! That's a huge weakness for me...that old collar bone injury doesn't like these!
So excited over StrongFirst! Can't wait to hear more details!

Mark Reifkind said...

diana

that are great! especially dependent on lat strength for the hold and shoulder stability, which is why I do them. plus I'm good at them :))

StrongFirst is going to ROCK! Website will be up by the end of this week I'm sure.

Mike C said...

Hi Rif- I'm on step 4 pushups from convict conditioning after 18 months of slowly working the progressions. 1/2 pushups. Just one step removed from pushups from my knees. Pushups can aggravate my shoulder and neck. Had a torn labrum operated on 2 years ago and some ac joint arthritis.

One thing I try to do is keep my neck in a neutral position during pushups and try to elongate my spine by thinking about extending from the crown of my skull. And of course pulling down the shoulders, flexing the lats.

What do you think? It seems to help me keep the shoulder and neck in better position.

Nice work on the pushups!!!

brucedalai said...

Hi Rif,

great work on the push up's!
You and your way is always a great Inspiration! Never give up. I will follow :-)
Take care.

Mike Moran said...

Mark.

You are always an inspiration to me. Awesome work.

Mark Reifkind said...

Mike C I think that's a good idea( neck) after seeing the video I brought my head up for the next sets. as I wrote it's a throwback to my gymnastics days. have to fix that:))
I think all your cues are spot on. Keep it going!

Mark Reifkind said...

Sascha

thanks for the kind words man, much appreciated :))

Mark Reifkind said...

mike

thanks man, very nice of you to say. thanks for commenting

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...