Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Strength training.

When I was still pressing.Back to the future.



After all the traveling, walking and heat tolerance training I've been doing in the last month, not to mention the last week, my comeback workout today was definitely not going to be max vo2. I do not need to sweat anymore for a couple days and I need to get my base level strength back not my endurance.


The combination of travel not enough sleep or food always plays havoc with my endurance anyway. Today needed to be heavy.


Although what would constitute heavy was anyone's guess,lol.




I did get to train first thing this am, which I love, as two of my clients are on vacation. What a luxury and how I miss it. I used to arrange my life so I could train first, when my focus and concentration were at it's peak. That was then and now reality takes precedence, so the times when I do get to train first is such a gift.


Of course I am stiff as a board these days early so it does take more warmup but that's no issue. Some Z neural warmup and some rifga stretches and I am good to go.




Snatches were first up on the schedule


warmups


12kg x5/5x2
16 kg x5/5 x2
20 kg x5/5 x2
24 kg x5/5 x 10 sets
100 reps
5300 lbs

not bad at all. speed of reps was solid although I did have to moderate my technique( less swing snatch and more vertical) as my lats were tight from all the sitting and the bottoms up misses and I felt my spine say: nah.
Switched to a style with a little more leg drive and all was good. Each of the reps was held overhead solidly and the last one for 3-5 seconds for good measure.


KB Military press

I don't know what's got into me but I think I may be able to train the press more regularly and NOT aggravate my right side rotator cuff and teres major.Maybe taking two years off all pressing and doing nothing but rehab, corrective drills and Z has paid off?

Not doing any bottoms up pressing on my right side this weekend left it raring to go to do something and everything went up like an empty bell. Course it was light but hey, its hours later now and I don't feel any worse for the work


20 kg x5/5
24 kg x3/3
28 kg x3/3
No problem! I could easily press the 32kg but want to save something.It felt more solid than ever and that has me excited! I will probably put these in on Saturdays after heavy snatches and keep the volume down. I also will alternate regular presses with bottoms up presses.Man I have missed these! Lets hope the shoulder holds together as it should.I also want to include more cleans in the workouts, including double bell cleans.
Now I want to press the Bulldog. Bottoms up the 32 kg and Military press the 40 kg. Good solid goals.


CB Arm casts

15 lb CB x 8/8 x 4 sets
CB Shield Casts
15 lb cb x 8/8x 3 sets
CB standing bench
15 lbx 3 sets of 6/6 ( these were interesting, havent done doubles in quite some time)


Finally my work loads are coming back up. and not bad either just one day off the cert. things are looking up.


datsit.

2 comments:

Tracy Reifkind said...

Thanks for not mentioning I totally flaked on training with you! It was nice seeing you press those heavy bells so easily.

Mark Reifkind said...

my love

having you there to support me is everything to me. You trained enough.four million push presses must have tired your shoulders out, lol.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...