Saturday, November 03, 2012

Stepping back to go forward.



I had decided to let this nice run up of load and intensity continue until I got a sign to do otherwise and this week was definitely the sign that the edge was here and it was time to step down a bit. Which I did, kind of, this week, although the 200 swings on Thursday was a pr but the attitude was different.
SO was my energy and I know it's time to back off a bit and start to rebuild again. But today was another pr day with the 20 kg snatch and it wasn't that hard.

Strange to feel so strong and a bit run down at the same time. Usually, when I'm run down the weight feels heavy in my hands and that's the best indicator to take it slowly. Today it still felt light, but  the drive just was less. I'll take this kind of fatigue anyday :)

Needed to stretch out this AM and I did about 35 minutes of Rifga and then things felt ready. It was COLD in the gym this morning and my knees were a bit achy from all those swings on Thursday so I put on my TK neopreme sleeves and they were SO COMFY. I can see they will be getting a lot of use this  winter.

One arm swing warmup:
16 kg x 5/5 x 3

Snatch
16 kg x 5/5, 3/3
20 kg x 12/12 x 7 sets
168 reps
6742 lbs

not sure if this is a recent pr or not as I wrote down on the blog that I did 6 sets of 12/12 last time I did this but on the blackboard in the gym it says 7 x 12/12. that's probably right but there was no way I was doing another set! I was tired after 7 and it was a bit of an effort so we called it there. the sets themselves felt great and using the lighter weights and higher reps in really teaching me a lot about my snatches.

Blending the light, medium and heavy weights into a training cycle is really working out, plus it's fun. Since I can do the heavy one arm and two hand swings I'm less anxious to always use the 24 kg on snatch day.

It's actually making the 24 k day that much easier.

Two Hand CB Arm casts


15 lbs x 10/10 ( TOO Light,lol)
25 x 10/10
35 x 8/8 x 2

The one arm version was done,especially after thursdays 32 kg bottoms up work. Perfect time to go back to the double arm work. The 35er felt the lightest it has ever.

Pbar pushups
4 x 6
first two sets feet on block, last two on floor.

these felt great and I brought my head up more  , into line. the shoulder isn't adjusting but it still tends to rattle a bit after the 4th rep (?) Triceps were surprisingly sore after the snatch holds and kb ext on Thursday :)

Body blade laterals SS Rear delt
2 x 10/10 each

decided to add in rear delt band work again. Makes sense just forgot. With all the pushups my front delts are still getting a ton of work and need to balance it.

datsit.
Sisu/

2 comments:

Kikolu said...

Rif,
from what you know now, with the strength stuff and all, how would you train a cyclist now and how would you feed him? Just asking cause I always like your thoughts here on the blog.

Mark Reifkind said...

Kikolu

Waaaay to complicated a question to answer here! But basically I would do what I did when I was a cyclist: train like the best cyclists in the world:))
They obviously how to do it right.
The same with the food.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...