Saturday, August 20, 2011

5x5/5: The Foundation


I have always loved fives in my training. When I was a bodybuilder trying to build mass I understood I needed to build strength first and did tons of five sets of five in the basic movements.In fact, when I wrote my first book for Runner's World magazine on Developing the Chest, my editor asked me if I did anything but fives for my training!?!

I did but it was the foundation.

When I competed in powerlifting we did much lower reps for the classic lifts but fives were my mainstay for my assistance work; perhaps the best compromise between load and intensity for both size and strength. Real strength. Easily converted to Maximum Strength.

I've found myself using the same template in my kettlebell training, surprisingly even though it may just be a habit by now. I believe, as does MRKC Brett Jones that anything over 3 reps is cardio and I hate to be out of breath :))

Five is a good compromise.

This is especially true when I am starting over and building or re building my foundation, say after an injury or a layoff, such as I had when I went to Hungary.

Even though my work output was ten times higher than in my normal life, my actual training, or specific loading, was down. No biggie, that's what training is for, to prepare you for tests or competitions when you have to taper your training and actually peak.

I've always hated this part of the cycle and much prefer to keep training going but you have to test if you are an athlete and this is part of the cycle.

But starting over sucks and international travel, as Peter Lakotos says, is the equivalent to overtraining. I agree. Add in a nice 36 hour "vomit virus", 3 days of no sleep and car troubles this morning which meant a late start and no stretching I knew I was in "starting over" mode.

So it was fives with the 24s in the long cycle clean and press. My go to base move. I love this movement and it likes me ok too :))

One arm Swing warmup
16 kg x5/5 + 5 transfers x 3 sets

Long cycle C&P
16 kg x5/5
20 kg x4/4
24 kg x5/5 x 5 sets

man this is a lot of reps when you feel tired and weak:))

Snatch
20 kg x5/5 x 5
24 kg x5/5 x 3

these weren't much easier either. amazing how a few weeks ago multiple sets of 10 with the 24 were easy.Being able to maintain condition is equally as hard as obtaining it in the first place.

Pistols
3 sets of 3/3

obsessed with this move now. Noticed on the video that on my left leg I didn't hold the right leg locked out well.> easy fix. they felt strong although one thing that has really fallen off of late is my stretching.

I didn't realize how much energy it takes to do my hour plus full on stretchout and I've been too burnt to mess with it enough and I can feel the difference especially in my ankles. time to get back to work and really take my ankle mobility and leg strength to a new level.

datsit. Sisu

1 comment:

Rawlinson said...

I can really feel the variance specifically in my ankles
I have played the online games especially the wow for a long times and I have some good advices for everyone to have the bestTera Gold in more easy ways, I also have the best ways for you of the Cheapest WOW Gold, please don't hesitate !

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...