Saturday, August 27, 2011

24 kg double presses 5x5


There's almost nothing worse to me( in a training sense) then losing ground. It take so much work and effort to get in good condition, be that strength or work capacity, and it takes minutes( almost) to lose it.

Of course you don't lose it all, but the top 15-25 % comes off very quickly;and two weeks of international travel and no real "training"( as opposed to just working) and things fall off quickly.

Peter Lakatos says international travel is the equivalent to over training and I believe thats true. It's scary how fast one can lose muscle, strength and condition. But there is no alternative once one is back in the saddle to starting over( relatively) and getting back to work re building the base.

The bigger the base the taller the peak so I am always focused on widening the base foundation of my physical abilities. But it's no fun to come back to weights that feel heavy that very recently were very light and to get tired with such light workloads but such is life. Enough whining, time to work!

7-8 am stretchout

My left shoulder has been really wonky for a few weeks and all the normal correctives weren't helping. I knew it was out of position but I didn't know what was keeping it out. pec minor, brachialis and teres major were all "active" i.e. in spasm, but weren't the culprit.

Put the pain ball in the sternal area of the pec MAJOR and finally, release and relief! Don't know how well the workout would have been if I hadn't figured this out. The site is not the source. Sometimes it's very far away from the site of the pain but almost always in the same "train track".Once the sternal pec tension was released the humerous went into neutral and all the peripheral tension released.

I did a lot of windmills in Hungary,which I haven't been doing at all and I think those really stimulated the pecs. Along with arms bars as well. Good to know this. I had forgotten about the pec major :))

8-9 am
Double press
2 16s x 5 x 2
2 20s x 5
2 20s x 3

2 24 x5x5

This took a bit to get going. The first sets felt heavy and awkward. By the time I taped the 4th set I was settling in;my shoulders were opening up a bit and I was feeling more grounded and stable.Ack indeed. These are the workouts that really count. Not the easy and strong ones.

Snatch
20 kg x 5/5
24 kg x 5/5 x 4 sets

wow this felt heavy overhead too.Since my shoulder has been "out" for so long just getting it in now didn't give it much time to readjust . No matter, by the fifth set I was feeling strong and stable again.

One arm swings
24 kg x5/5
32 kg x5/5 x 3 sets

this was a good choice. Needed to really re establish the swing base with a heavy load. Felt light, finally.

Serious protein breakfast( eggs, cheese and veg of course :)

Datsit. Sisu

8 comments:

Roland Denzel said...

Mark,

I just spent the weekend at the Perform Better Summit (not international travel, but not exactly restful, either), and my strength is waaaay down after my five days "off." It's not a good feeling, even though I know it will come right back.

We picked up some 1 pound indian clubs and Ed's DVD while we were there. Ed was amazing to watch and learn from! Do you use the lighter clubs in your training and mobility? I notice the heavier club bells...

On a very positive note, I got your DVD in the mail today, so I'm looking forward to soon using my lats to take my strength to the next level!

Roland

Mark Reifkind said...

roland

it's amazing how long it's taking to get my strength endurance back. I really think it's the adrenal thing more than anything.It was a "hectic" and high pressured two weeks.Not normal.

I don't use Indian clubs or any light clubbells but it looks interesting. I do have to say that am I more interested in learning Peter lakatos's Ginastica natural than anything else right now.

let me know how you find the lats tape.

Roland Denzel said...

With your gymnastics background, you'd probably be really good at the Ginastica!

Do it! ...and post the videos!

Mark Reifkind said...

roland

I got to try some ginastica in Hungary with Peter and just like my gymnastics day i am very slow learner. I can get things but I have to go very slowly. looking forwards to getting some written material about it

Roland Denzel said...

Mark,

I've watched your DVD twice now, this morning with a kettlebell. Very good stuff in there!

You have great style and form in your teaching. I knew where my lats were before, but now I know how to use them even better!

I will recommend it to anyone who wants to get stronger or stay healthy as they train.

I look forward to meeting you one day.

Roland

Mark Reifkind said...

roland

thanks for the kind words and that you got some value from the dvd. I'm sure we will meet. it's a small world :))

Rawlinson said...

my potency is waaaay lower following my 5 times off.It's not a great feeling,
When we play the WOW, we need to try get the Cheap WOW Gold,thst's to say, spend less money, do we have any good way to Buy World Of Warcraft Gold from trust friends or some way else? When we have that we can play the game becomes more quickly and update the levels more easy.

chuangjiawow said...

I honestly like this post. Thank you.


______________________________
enjoy game so much!
Diablo 3 GoldDiablo III ItemsCheap Diablo 3 Gold

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...