Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Full Stretchout

I got a request this morning for an explanation of what I do when I write down in my blog " morning stretchout'. I've gone over my "rifga" ( rifs' yoga) before a few times but it's time for an update. This is perhaps the most important thing I do in training.

Scratch that.

Its IS the most important thing I do in training because without this any kind of weighted loading would be impossible. Training is my source but stretching out; my combination of self myofascial release ( SMR), stretching, mobility and stability work are the foundation. They allow the other stuff to go on.

I've come a long way. 5 years ago it was common for me to spend up towards 2 hours a day on a foal roller and with a clinical level massager trying to unkink the muscular knots that held my body captive in some SERIOUS asymmetry. This caused a lot of pain, everyday, allday and more important, wouldn't allow for anything that really resembled training. It was prety much just rehab rehab and some pre hab .

I started studying correctives and stability/ mobility work under Paul Chek in 1997 and this video clip, taken from the level 2 RKC in 2007 where I presented the tutorial that became "Restoring Lost Physical Function' was my explanation of my approach to foam roller work that evolved from Paul's course work.



This was( is )based on Vladimir Jandas( where Chek got it ) length tension relationship theories about how to deal with the issues that arise from the imbalance of tonic and phasic muscles. Think slow twitch and fast twitch.

The idea is to open up the tight tonic muscles FIRST, BEFORE you load. so that one approaches their training more symmetrical and balanced than before.
Little by little you undo the knots, unkink the kinks, always looking to become square, plumb and neutral.

Usually the phasic,fast twitch muscles need activating, not releasing and once the tight side of the joint is released ( think hamstrings vs quads) the phasic muscles "turn on' pretty easily.

The hard part is unlocking those tight, facilitated, glued down, slow twitch red fiber muscles.

SO my morning stretchout is as much assessment as it is correctives. No one day is exactly the same as another as what I wake up with depends very much on what I did, or did not do, the day(s) before.
 Here's the deal

Morning stretchout:

1)Back bend over stability ball. I describe this technique here:



the idea here is to open up the front panel; the abs, diaphragm hip flexors and well as crack open my tight left knee and ankles. I also work the shoulders and lats here as well. This pretty much is always first in line. for most that sit more than anything else SOME kind of back bend is crucial . this is one of more than few backbends I do.

2) SMR on rumble roller.
I start in a plank position and roll out the quads and hip flexors. then onto the sides for the IT bands. Then I sit on the roller and check the glutes and glutes tie ins. Then onto the hamstrings done individually. Then I sit on the floor with the roller in my lower back and so small extensions over the roller, trying to arch over it and create extension on the spine.

I work one segment for 4-5 reps them move up 3-4 times until I reach the next. I just put the roller under my neck as I would a pillow and roll that side to side to see if there's anything tight.

Then onto the lats putting the roller under the armpits and work there on the lat and teres. Yummy stuff almost always shows up. Most peoples lats are seriously tight.

3)Single leg hamstring strap with jump stretch band.
I lay on my back and loop the band over the ball of my foot using contract relax techniques to stretch the hammies. I cross the midline then abduct out to the side. I then loop the band over EACH toe and stretch the toes and the foot as I further stretch the hammies. BE VERY CAREFUL  with this stretch as it's easy to tweak the toe capsules; but this has been vital for opening up my feet WHICH HAS REALLY HELPED MY KNEES.

4) Brettzell with hamstring stretch
brettzell rif style photo brettzell_zpsf81b669b.jpg

I do this as much for my knee extension as I do my T spine rotation but it's a winner.

5) Upward dog
I spend a lot of time here opening up the front panel hip flexors and diaphragm

6) Downward dog
I do these one at a time to stretch the hamstrings calves ankles and increase terminal knee extension in my left knee

7) Lower to quadraped
I drop down to four point stand with feet dorsiflexed mainly to stretch my ankles and knee. hold for 5-10 seconds

8) Horse stance vertical and extensions ( for lumbar stability)

9) Ipsilateral left arm left leg raise ( to activate right erectors/left glute and address scoliosis curve)

10) walk up to frog squat ( hands on floor feet by hands)

11) kneeling shoulder stretch : arms out in front, on knees , chest to floor

12) lacrosse ball hip rotator mobilization ( ball under glutes assess and address)

13) Kneeling SFG hip flexor stretch( with back foot in dorsiflexion)

14) Seated straddle stretch: stretch to right left center
      (occasionally work in straddle splits)

15) Overhead bar hang( toes on floor, heels 1.5 inches off the ground)
Three grips : double overgrip, mixed grip, double undergrip

This has been VITAL for opening up my lats and shoulder as well as unloading the lumbar spine. These are daily as the lats get tight and stay tight very easily. especially on me.

16) Overhead stick stretches.
here's a quick video tutorial on this very important drill


17) Stick slides for lower rhomboid mobilization

I do these either with or without the power rack. When you're beginning, using the rack as a guide is very useful to get the right line of force and JUST using the scapulae to move. Otherwise it's easy to use the elbow flexors too much



18) Behind back stick stretch
Shoulder extension is a much ignored ROM but one that is vital for healthy shoulder function. Those with tight shoulders and T spines tend to overfocus on shoulder flexion but this is  just as important.



19) Pec and first rib mobilization with lacrosse ball.
Got this from Kelly Starrett and I use it and variations of it everyday.



as well as putting the same taped lacrosse ball under the armpit to release the' used to be impossible to release yourself' sub scapularis.



20 ) Last but not least the Thai Squat. Since I can only squat down with a close stance to about 1/4 squat this ain't pretty but setting the torque in the ankle propery increase my passive ROM in my bad knee about 15 deg. when you only have 85 deg 15 more is a big deal



There it is folks . Pretty much my daily routine. If I do the entire thing it takes about 60 minutes. Many times I do lower body in the AM and upper body at night or many variations on the theme, always depending on what is talking to me at the moment.

As I wrote earlier, this work is the foundational work that ALLOWS for the "training". Sometimes I spend just moments on each  aspect, just trying it to discern if that area needs any work. Sometimes I spend 15 minutes or more on one part , if it needs it.

Just another part in the process of getting better and stronger as I get older. Reclaiming more and more of what I used to have.

datsit.
Sisu/


3 comments:

Joe Sarti said...

Awesome Rif. I was always curious so it's great to see it on paper and with the tutorials. This is great stuff and the core philosophy is crucial.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Joe I've wanted to get it all down in one place for awhile as well. Of course this is just the starting point and I do more throughout the day as well, if needed.

I didn't go into the lacrosse ball releases for the forearms ( elbow release) but can do that another time.

Joe Sarti said...

Rif, one post will never suffice for your encyclopedia of knowledge and wisdom...just keep putting it down. We should tak your best post, and put them into one collection :) it would probably be a thousand pages but its some place to start :)

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...