Saturday, March 23, 2013

24 kg snatches, back to strength.



I've done enough rep kb snatches. I know that 10-15 rep sets are not exactly high reps to the gs people but as a former ( reformed) powerlifter I believe in the Brett Jones saying "anything over 3 reps in cardio".

We've set a great foundation these last few months with the progress reps on Saturdays but doing  reps over 7-8 lulls me into a too relaxed state and the power output on my snatches goes down. has to. I'm just trying to get the numbers not maximize the power and that bores me.

I've been too fixated with the snatch test and gearing my snatch training for that and you know what? I just don't care anymore. If I have to I'll take the snatch test anytime and gut out 100 reps but why center my training around it when I don't like the training, and, truth be told, it is the antithesis of hardstyle training.

The definition of hardstyle is " don't hold back" and that exactly what I tell people to do when I coach them for the snatch test:" calm down, slow down, pace yourself, use as little force and power  as necessary to make each reps"  Done with that.

I want to accelerate each rep, build the force and power of each rep. Not hold back.I would rather do 20 sets of 10 then 5 sets of 40, anyday. So we changed things. The way it was looking the goal was nothing but high reps: sets of 20/20 with the 20 kg, 15/15 with the 22 and 10/10 with the 24.
Nah.

Back to strength. Ladders. Sets of 5,6,7 were the order of the day today with my medium weight the 24. Next week, since I'm not allowed to snatch above the 24 I will do one arm swing in sets of 5 with the 28, 32 36 or 40kg. Then back to the 20kg for ladders of 8,9, 10. My only homage to reps.

Snatches
16 kg x 5/5 x 2
20 kg x 4/4
24 kg x 5,6,7 x 4 rounds
144 reps
7632

the goal will be 6 rounds of this, then recycle. For now. It sure felt good to be concentrating on powering out each rep rather than holding back and pacing.

Two hand clubbell shield cast
20 lbs x 10/10
25 lbs x 10/10
35 lbs x 5/5

these went well

Handstand pushups ( spotted)
4 sets of 3

these went better than expected as well. they are in the pushup rotation so I'm not worried about the spot. It's for shoulder and upper back work not the hs specfically.haven't been upside down in awhile and it felt strong.
back to normal finally.:)

 datsit.
Sisu/



No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...