Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Snatch Vo2: 60 sets of 7


It seems like my training cycle for snatches is working. Going to just one day a week of snatching instead of two, and cycling the loads with a 16 kg snatch vo2 workout one week, a 20 kg snatch vo2 workout the next and followed up with a 24 kg snatch workout that focuses just on total volume and not time.

Doing the 20 kg for last weeks workload made the 16 kg feel like, well, a 16 kg( at least what it should feel like :)) My main problem with max vo2 training is not the volume, or the short rest periods or having my heart rate so high it feels my heart is going to jump out of my chest but the speed.

Eight reps per 15 seconds just require so much more 'accuracy' in the movement with NO MISTAKES in form, to keep up that pace.Seven rep sets now just feel like I am almost cruising and could keep up that pace for a lot longer.

SO that's what I did today; kept the pace at 7 per 15 sec and did 60 sets. It's been two plus years since I did 60 sets of max. and it was strong up until the last ten sets, lol.

I actually was snatching at an 8 rep pace after the first ten sets warmed me up but as I wrote about before there is a world of difference between eight rep pace and eight reps per set :))

I actually did some nine rep pace but that just left me more time to rest at the end of the interval in the overhead hold.

6-7 am full stretchout

For a change I actually did the full 60 minutes in stretchout getting everything from toes to nose including my overheads and the overhead in split snatch ( barbell style) position. This is a keeper. ANother global stretch that I love.

Floor splits are coming along very well and found that if I prop the arms up on rumble rollers I get more upright much more easily( which I knew) but also get a better hip flexor loading( which I didn't).

I have been doing all floor split and stretches on fingertips ala Convict Conditioning 2 advice and it is helping my flexor forearm muscles release tension and strengthening the hell out of my extensors. It's also making my fingers seriously gymnastics strong again.

8:30
Snatch Vo2
16 kg
15:15
7 reps per interval
60 sets
420 reps
15,120 !! nice most I've done in ages

Two hand arm casts
20 lbs x10/10
25 lbs x 10/10 x 3 sets

Shield Cast
25 lbs x 8/8 x 3 sets

Bodyblade laterals
3 x8/8

One arm band triceps extensions
4 x 20/20
x 15/15
x10/10 x 2

I like doing these one arm at a time as well

AS always, having my Queen of Swings and KB Snatches train alongside of me is the best. Watching the video it's way cool how synchronized we get in our pace without even trying.Of course tracy was doing double sets with the same rest period but really, would we expect any less? lol Of course not.

datsit.Sisu.

4 comments:

Tracy Reifkind said...

my sweetie,

I did the first 10 sets (5 R, 5 L) traditional 15/15. The remainder of the workout I did two 15 sec intervals back to back, for 30 sec of work (14 reps) and only 15 sec rest. 2 to 1 workload....in case anyone is interested.

I figured it out to be 74 "sets" of 7 reps, but in 2/3 the time.

Mark Reifkind said...

you killed it, as always my love :))

SebastianKFA said...

"My main problem with max vo2 training is not the volume, or the short rest periods or having my heart rate so high it feels my heart is going to jump out of my chest but the speed."

I have exactly the same problem...

At 8 reps, it feels kind not safe.
I think I just need to practice more ...
No excuses, right?

@ Tracy, extremely strong! and "in case anyone is interested" Yes it does... :)

Mark Reifkind said...

sebastian

as you can read from my blogs about it I usually do between 10 and 20 'warmp" sets of 7 before adding in the 8's. sometimes it's better than other. I've don 80 sets of 8 but that was a serious peak performance and took me quite awhile to build up to.
I know what you mean about not feeling safe, I don't want to tweak anything trying to go faster than I can that day.

thanks for the comment.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...