Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Thanks Joakim


Just like on Saturday, the 32 kg was on the schedule today, this time for presses; and there was no reason to duck it/. I still respect the HELL out of that bell and it can be very heavy when it wants to. I HAVE to pay attention when I'm training with it, for any lift.

This is problem/effectiveness of having a written out training program or protocol that is progressive,it forces you to confront the things you should be confronting if you want to get to where you say you are going.

If you say your goal is to press the 40 kg bell, then there is a certain amount of work one has to do with all the bells in between, including the ones that you feel are "heavy".Getting enough work done with all the different loads and intensities means organizing your training in a fashion that perhaps starts low, waves up the loads and intensity, peaks, then backs off.

There are a lot of variations available in those plans( as my own attempts to cycle my workouts have indicated :))
When I trained WSB style powerlifting there were many many choices one had to make each workout,specifically which exact exercise needed to be done to bring up your exact weak point in that lift at that exact time. It would only work for a short time regardless of which on you choose and either your weakness came up and you had to choose to work on something else or it didn't change enough and you had to find another way to attack it.

But one thing didn't change; Fridays were squat speed day. sunday was bench speed day, Monday was squat /dl max effort day and Wednesdays were max effort bench press. And you KNEW on each of those days what weights you would have to use because the percentages to improve that quality of that day's lifts were set and your current strength level was known, and you went off that.

No pretending, or extrapolating or wishing or guessing. You based your training off your current maxes and that means sometimes shit gets very heavy. And you had to man up and get it done to the best you could that day.

For the last many years I swore off testing myself or even pushing hard at all because if I did things broke. Hard and fast and took forever to get even a little bit better. It wasn't worth it; so I had to be happy with rehab pr's. Increases in basic functions and diminution of pain are ALL great ways to progress( especially if you are really jacked up) and not to be dismissed lightly. Still it is not real training.Hard training, the kind that scares you a bit before and leaves you satisfied and content afterwards.

But lately I feel safe enough to push hard enough to call my practice training again and that feels good. But I still have to show up and confront myself on the things I said I wanted to achieve; said I wanted to accomplish.

So it was time to get after the 32 kg bells but I wasn't sure of the rep scheme. It seems every time I try to go too far over 3 reps, regardless of whether I can make the reps, I get more fatigue than I want in the next few days. One of my goals is to be sore as little as possible,lol. It makes for better training and for strength training sore isnt' good. Not bad for hypertrophy but that is not my goals: high work capacity,resilience and strength are.

So when I saw my friend Joakim Bohms blog post and saw he cranked out 5 sets of 2/2 with the 32 kg press I knew what the work load would be, just that. I hoped. :)) I didnt' event think though, that I would also do as he did and do 100 24 kg snatches after. I need to work up to even attempting that,but I like the placement

I also choose long cycle for the same reason, it's easier for me and I get less shoulder fatigue, the cleans set the press up and give the delts and upper back a different stress. A change is as good as a rest, says the Chief Instructor and I believe him.

6-7 am full stretchout and mobility work. Left bicep tendon and AC joint still touchy after all the ring work. Lots of emphasis on first rib work, scap shrugs, overhead stick stretches, lots of forearm and brachialis thumper work as pec minor release with lacrosse ball.

8:30 am

Long cycle clean and press
16 kg x 5/5/5/5 swings x 3 sets
16 kg cleans x 5/5 x 2 sets

16 kg x5/5
20 kgx 3/3
24 kg x2/2
28kg x2/2

32 kg x2/2x 5 sets

these were very strong but still demanded I concentrate like hell and respect the weight and to what I was attempting and what I was risking. I had to be fully in the moment the whole time, just what I like :)) although I am seriously out of practice. Today will help. Every little bit helps.

Two Hand Arm casts
20 lbs x 10/10
25 lbs x10/10
35 lbs x 10/10 x 2 pr

never did two sets of 10's with this weight. It finally started to feel 'not too heavy" lol. Just heavy.Respect here too.This will tear shoulders ,elbows or wrists up no problem

Two hand shield casts
25 lbs x10/10 x 3 sets

these were fluid and fast. easy even. Have to keep these in this day, there are rehab.

Bodyblade laterals

3x10/10 each arm nonstop

another rehab assistance work must.

I was tempted to do my pullups but decided the shoulder really needed a rest and I've been pushing it. It's been telling me to rest it but I haven't listened. Til now. This is the danger of actually getting better. It's so tempting to try to do EVERYTHING you haven't been able to do for years all at the same time. and that's not smart or possible.

Hell the fact that I can press again, let alone heavy and strongly , is a miracle. Don't be greedy Mark. Be grateful

and I am :)) Movement is beauty at every level.

Datsit. Sisu.

5 comments:

Juci SFG said...

This is truly amazing, Sir.
The whole stuff. The lifts, the progression, the awareness; along with your strength and humbleness.

Mark Reifkind said...

thank you so much for reading and your kind words Judit :)), they are greatly appreciated .

jockeRKC said...

Mr Rif thank YOU for writing this blogg i am reading and taking in all that you say, i need to get stronger and have more conditioning but still practice my skills and be aware so i dont go over board and get hurt. And that i learn from you Sir.
You are strong Mr Rif.

Mark Reifkind said...

Joakim,

thank you for the kind words and your inspiration. You are a warrior my friend.keep up the fight!

Boris said...

Great stuff as always Rif. Nice to see you building again.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...