Saturday, November 21, 2009

If I can't outlift you I will outlast you.

The picture on my new business card.
That is one of my favorite sayings, and pretty much my motto. I've never had a lot of talent in the athletic department, excellent for an excellent eye for movement and a LOT of desire to be able to move as best I can , if that counts as athletic talent.

As a gymnast I had to do the movement 1000 times wrong to do it right once, but I didnt care. If I did it right once, I figured, I could do it again right. I just couldnt stop trying.
Another of my favorite sayings: the only way you won't get it is if you quit.
I don't have a lot of quit in me.Probably be smarter if I had more but hey what can I say?lol.
I am closing in pretty quickly on my 50,00 snatches and max vo2 days really help pump the numbers up and this makes me pretty proud.

As of now only one person, Richard Christopher has actually accounted for 50,000 snatches on the snatch manager board
and I will be the second. I'm sure lots of people who started this have done 50,000 snatches in their training, but they haven't counted them, and in this race, they don't count. Mine will. Gotta have a goal to keep showing up, no matter how far off it is nor how seemingly unattainable.It doesnt even really matter, because as soon as one goal is accomplished a new one has to be decided upon anyway. After 50,000 snatches, 100,00.

So, win, lose or draw, next day it's back in the gym. What else you gonna do? It's a practice after all.A path.My path anyway.

I am fully committed to training only at Girya after 11 years in my garage gym. It's time. I'm tired of my garage and Girya is fully being converted to a KB dojo, set up for classes, groups, HKC's AND one one ones. Way different than the "studio" it's been for 8 years. Hey, everybody used kbs from the start but a studio is not a dojo. This is better and the perfect time for the change.It's also way cool and different to train with Tracy and her students.So much good energy, I haven't felt that in years,except in yoga. Which, ironically for me, is now one of it's perks. Who'da thunk it? Me needing group energy for training.

But hey, any port in a storm

Felt good, slept well, got up early, stretched and mentally prepared to have my hat handed to me by my wife but what'cha gonna do,lol?


Snatch vo2
16kgx 30 sets of 7
20 sets of 8 in the 15:15 protocol
50 sets
370 reps
13,320 lbs

Not bad at all, HR was 190 at the end but having Tracy meg and nick getting it done alongside really made it easier. Quitting was not an option.

And watching Tracy do THIRTY FOUR sets of EIGHT with the SIXTEEN KILO after numerous sets of 7 and doing 60 sets total just showed me how far I have fallen from my 80 sets of 8. After teaching a half hour swing class.Check it out here.

BUT I will be back. Cause I just won't quit. I'm slow but I'm stubborn.

Clubbell swipes
10 lbs x 20
15 lbs x15x2
20 lbs x 8,9,10 PR
15x20
ouch, these were perfect. I love being able to do them again: The perfect compliment to my kb work, just the thing to open up my tight elbow flexors.
dats it for now, yoga in an hour and a half. Double time.


New Schedule
Mondays

two hand swings and Clubbell Casts
Wednesdays
Heavy snatch and Handstands

Saturday
Snatch Vo2 and Clubbell swipes

Bikrams( 1.5 hours after max)

Completely suprisingly I had one of my strongest classes ever.Felt really strong, mentally in control and my breath was very very calm. Even after I had to help carry the guy that fainted due to heat stroke out for the paramedics to get.Made me miss my strong side on standing bow,lol. He is ok, but they got to let people who say they want out of the heat out of the studio without arguing. It's crazy. Let them cool off and come back. Tomorrow's always another practice. What's the hurry?
Hope to get another class in tomorrow as well. HKC cert is 95% full and life is good.

datsit


9 comments:

guy said...

Dear Sir,

"Slow But Steady wins the Race!" Your not "Slow" Sir, you've just adopted a tortoise strategy in reaching the 50,000 mark! Good work Bossman!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Guy, I don't have much of a choice as per the tortoise strategy but it's what I got! I will get there and further.

dbt1959 said...

Mark:
I love reading your blog. I feed on this; I am fifty, old but strong, looking forward to making my way down to your dojo. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but no one can work harder.

Mark Reifkind said...

David,

thank you,glad it inspires.And your last sentence of your comment could very well have been written by me,lol.

Rif

Boris T said...

Nice, you're almost there. I like your determination and willingness to try. Attempting, failing and the will to try again are what matters. Those who try once and quit have done little...

One a Club work side of things, I see you're doing Swipes quite often, do you do mills as well?

I've just dusted off my Indian Clubs and did some mills with them today. Any tips or hints would be great, I posted a video on my blog.

Rob O'Brien said...

Mark,

You will beat me to 50k ..congrats in advance! I should be @ 40k this week. I will be the third to reach 50k and will meet you @ 100kBest,

Rob

Mark Reifkind said...

boris,
thanks man, I guess Ijust don't know any other way after all these years of 'falling down and getting back up' it's just a habit now,lol.
I do like the mills but am just getting back to the clubs themselves and have been running out of time. I also need to add in arm and sheild casts as well.
the mills can also sometimes end up in my back so I have to be careful.I try to underdo, rather than overdo, these days. I just need another full training day devoted to kbs and clubs,which is what I am supposed to be doing now,monday on myhalf hour break but am not,lol.

Mark Reifkind said...

boris I'll take alook at your video later

Mark Reifkind said...

rob, you've been doing alotmore other things than I have. you'll get there then we'll meet again at 100K!

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...