Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Speed Swing day


One of the biggest lessons I learned from training WSB method for so many years and being able to speak with the Master himself, Louie Simmons, about the system almost every week for 2.5 years was the importance of speed training.

It was never light bench day, it was bench speed work. Same with squat day. Never "light" squat day but speed squat day.The quality being trained was starting strength and the idea was to use a 60-70% weight and move it as quickly as possible( using perfect form, of course) Chains, or bands were added to the bar to accommodate leverage and this made it possible to push as fast as possible as long as possible

The cool thing was that when it was heavy day ( AKA Max Effort) we didn't try to lift the heavy weights slowly but move them as fast as we did on speed day. That was the idea. Teach the body to NOT hold back with sub max weights so it wouldn't on  max weight day. And it worked.Very well.

This has been working well with my snatch training, using a light, medium and heavy day cycle, varying the rep scheme with the weight and always trying to move the weight as forcefully as possible.

I decided to apply the same thing to my two other training days and today was 2 kb  high pull day. Last week we used the 24 kg so I went to the 16 kg to work speed and acceleration. And form.
The other nice thing about lighter weights is that they really let you practice perfect form.

2 KB high pull
2 12 kg x 10 x 2( just testing out wonky knee)

2 16 kg x 10 x 15 sets
150 reps
10,500 lbs

nice also is that this volume adds up so quickly! It was Glenn and me and went I go you go so the pace was fast. The nice thing here also was that the weights and groove actually FELT light, so I could actually move fast, too.

I prefer the high pull version to the straight arm swing as well as it makes it such a more full body exercise with the use of the upper back .Better prelude to cleans and double snatches as well.

Next week will go 20 kg and then 24 kg the week after. I'll figure out comensurate reps/set for each work weight as we get some experience with each weight.

Mondays will now be devoted to the two hand swing, both ballistic and power version. I will do power versions of this day as well

Snatch holds
16 kg x 45 sec
20 kg x 45 sec
22 kg x 35 sec
24 kg x 30 sec

added another set here. I still can't get into the position I want, even with my left arm. ack.Keep trying ;sisu.

Rack walks
16 kg x 200 ft sets x 5 
1000 feet

needed to put these back in. More translatable than crawling, which my left knee and hamstring have not liked at all.haven't done this in many months and it was way easier than we remembered. For Glenn too. that's a good sign.

datsit.
Sisu/



No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...