Thursday, January 17, 2013

Power swings Running the rack



Switched training days this week as their was a conflict in schedules. We had an extra day of rest but will lose one prior to Saturday's 24 kg snatches. No worries, we've done this plenty before and we only have to do 14 sets of 6/6 anyway.:)) I remember very well when that was a pr workout for me and now it's just step one of the ramp up.

Strong feels so good.

So I didn't want to do a lot of volume so I decided on power swings instead of ballistics. Decided as well that we should run the rack a bodybuilding technique I really love with swings.The reps stay the same for each set but you go up and down the rack of kb.s doing the reps with each weight. Seems easy but it's very interesting on a lot of levels. the difference in how each weight feels on the way down the rack versus on the way up is amazing.

Power swings
20 kg x 5 x 2
24 kg x 5
28 kg x 5
32 kg x 5
36 kg x 5
40 kg x 5
44 kg x 5
48 kg x 5 x 2
44 kg x 5
40 kg x 5
36 kg x 5
32 kg x 6
28 kg x 8
24 kg x 10

only 89 swings but man they were  intense. The 24 kg at the end felt like it was made of paper :))

Snatch holds
16 kg x 35 sec
20 kg x 35 sec
24 kg x 35 sec x 2 sets

these felt the best they have in forever. Finally getting my overhead position stable again. about freakin time, it's taken forever.Felt very strong today and that always helps.

Bodyweight = 157 on the dot. About perfect weight for me 71 kg.

Rack walks
16 kg x 200 ft sets x 4 sets
         x 400 ft x 1 set

these went great. everything was on today. knee felt decent all day too, as well as my back. so nice when that happens


datsit.
Sisu/


2 comments:

Diana said...

Mark-
Strong looks good! I have to give these power swings a more serious try, I'm so used to banging out big numbers-damn your wife and her high volume training that I love!!! LOL..

I'll try the power swings with my new shirt-that should help!

Mark Reifkind said...

Diana

it's important to balance the training, lower rep heavier power swings will definitely make the lighter weight high volume work easier.

and the shirt will make it all much stronger as you know :)

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...