Saturday, December 17, 2011

Press again, high rep snatches and pbar handstands



It's been 4 months or so that my left bicep tendon has been slipping out of it's notch in the humerus and creating nasty spasms in my levator scap, scalenes, pec major, triceps and rotator cuff. I can get the shoulder to sublux doing almost anything ( sleeping, pushing off the floor, down dog, etc ,etc,) but , until now, haven't figured how to 'get it back in'.

Until now.I tried everything I knew, and I mean everything but nothing would put the shoulder back into neutral.Then I decided to use Kelly Starrets distraction method that he loves for his hips, for the shoulder. He's done a MWOD on using it for the shoulder but I didn't really think it would make the difference.

I was wrong. The shoulder clunked nicely back into place and voila' I could press again and didn't need all the myo fascial release work that I've been doing. Square plumb and neutral and the pain goes away.

So above is the technique I use to get the humerus back into the rear of the socket where it belongs!
Thanks KStar for all your great work.It's changed my life. No joke.


7- 7:45 am full stretchout


7:45- 9 am 


Long cycle clean and press
one arm swing warmup : 16 kg x 5/5/5/5 x3


Clean and press
16 kg x5/5
20 kg x 4/4


24 kg x 3/3
          x4/4
          x 5/5
          x 5/5
          x5/5
          x 5/5


These went VERY well and the few times I had some shoulder movement I just went to the jumpstretch band and distracted the joint and it was peachy in seconds. About freakin time I figured this one out. If I can press it makes things so much nicer.

Snatch


16 kg x 5/5
20 kg x 20/20
          x 15/15


ouch. that was not fun. I didn't expect it to be, and to be honest it wasn't that hard BUT it really showed my cardio weak link in that energy system. It will build up quickly and I will be doing 2 x 25/25 with the 20 kg soon and then move up to the 24kg to build that up too.

I'll get the snatch volume on Mondays with snatch vo2

Nick was doing his own thing as usual going heavier rather than going for volume. He bumped up to the 32 kg for his last set and instead of doing his usual 5 rep set he keeps going, and going and going until he hits 20 reps with his right arm!

I know Nick has never snatch more than 10 reps in a row with ANY weight let alone the 32 kg! I figured he was done for sure but he switched hands and kept going. I seriously would have bet my  house that he was going to put the bell down after the 20 on his right arm but I would have bet EVERYTHING he couldn't have made another twenty on his left. But he did :))Amazing. Boy is strong for real.

His heart rate will be elevated for days, believe me :))
Well done Brother.


PBar Handstands


5 sets of 10 seconds off Bosu ball. These were very strong

SO the new schedule :

Saturday
Clean and press
 Snatch ( 2 sets high reps)
Pbar handstands
Triceps extensions


Monday
Snatch Vo2
Two hand clubbells
Floor handstands
Bodyblade Laterals




Wednesday
One arm swings  heavy volume
 Deadlifts
2 Clubbell Swipes ( 2 sets max reps)
Floor handstands
Tricep extensions

datsit. Sisu




1 comment:

Mike C said...

Great stuff Sir...thanks for posting! I went over to Kelly's blog and checked out the shoulder joint distraction stuff with Donnie Thompson. Very interesting.

I think I'll post some questions about distractions at the RKC Instructor's Forum to try to get some input/ thoughts from The Party.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...