Saturday, February 05, 2011

Swing capacity

To me my overall work capacity is a direct reflection of my swing capacity. At my best I've done 600 one arm swings with the 24 kg and 400 with the 32 kg. That was including doing max vo2 work on wednesays as well as a big ass swing workout on Saturay mornings. Well, that was a long time ago it seems as today wasn't that day.

I wasn't pressing back then but that can't be the difference. The difference is I have let my swing volume slack off, for very good reasons, but the result is the same nonetheless as today's workout showed me.

Again, having a good nights sleep, good nutrition and a positive attitude seem to have little to do with me having a great workout,lol. All that occured yesterday, my knee, back and shoulders felt fine so I had no excuses other than the 15o snatches I did on Thursday took more out of me than they should have.

All in all in really wasn't a 'bad' workout but I expected more.I got to play with the 32 kg again and lots with the 28 but was surprised at how little I wanted to do more than I did with these bells,lol.

Nick didn't show so I went faster than normal but that wasn't anything. Lots of one arm swings with heavy bells is just freaking hard and I'm not ready for the load. Yet. But it showed me my decision to re position the one arm workout to Saturdays is the right one. This is the day to build the heavy volume

One Arm Swings
16 kg x5/5/ x2
20 kg x5/5 x2

24 kg x 5/5 x 5 sets( 2650)
28 kg x5/5 x 5 sets (3150)
32 kg x5/5 x 5 sets ( 3600)
28 kg x5/5 x 5 sets (3150)
200 total swings
12,550 lbs

The hardest part was my forearms, which were toasty from Thursdays. Not used to heavy( ish) snatch volume yet. My press capacity is good though,lol. Technique felt strong and I had good bell speed on all reps. My arms were just tired. I was hoping for at least 100 reps with the 32 kg but didn't feel ready to just jump up to that weight, hence the multiple sets with the lower bells.

Two hand arm casts

15 lb x8/8
25 lb x 5/5
x6/6
x7/7
x8/8
x10/10

wow. was hoping my new 35 lb clubbell would have been here for this workout but it wasnt so I tried to make up for it with a serious up hill pyramid. Given that my arms were already toast this wasn't easy at all and I skipped the 9/9 set because I didn't think I would be able to do 10/10 if I did 9/9. So I went for the last set and it was a good decision.

When I got home my new bell was there so I had to give it a test ride:


This thing is NO JOKE and I can't imagine being strong enough to much of anything with this one handed. Two hands on this beast is hard enough but I'm so glad to have my new toy!

Two Club Swipes
10's x 20
x 18
x 16

Done. My best with this move is 300 continuous reps with the 10's and 150 with the 15's. I haven't been able to do it for months because my back wouldn't tolerate it but today felt great! Perhaps I can put it back in the mix. This is a very natural and strong move for me. Would love to work up to 300 or so with the 20's ;))

30 minute stretchout

datsit :))

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mark,

You handled that 35 like it was nothing.
A question, have you ever tried Sonnon's 4x7? I tried it back when doing KBs only and didn't like it. But after doing 6 months of tacFit Commando, I use it for everything. Just wondering.
Todd

Mark Reifkind said...

todd

thanks man, it was harder and easier than I imagined at the same time ;)

Don't know about the 4x7 protocol, where would I find the info?

Unknown said...

Well Scott makes a dvd, 4x7 : the mundane, but I learned it from a former Team Lead Dave Randolph.

The premise is that you have a 4 day micro cycle repeated 7 times, that is the 4x7.

Each micro cycle is broken down into a the following
Day 1 - No Intensity- Joint Mobility
Day 2 - Low Intensity - Yoga/compensation
Day 3 - Moderate Intensity - Strength day
Day 4 - High Intensity - MetCon

You keep repeating the cycle until your 28 day are up. After that you either take 2 days off(JM only) or start your next 28 day cycle.

I love it. The theory behind it is that after getting used to the varying intensities, you will peak every 4 days given that you have rest and compensation built in.

At first, I found it didn't work. But after staying on it, it really does for me. I use it for BW/CBs/Kbs.

Sry about being long winded:)

Mark Reifkind said...

todd

thanks but I can't really follow anyone else's program design anymore. my schedule is kind of set up similarly with one heavy press day one swing day one snatch day and with mobility and flexibility stuff done on my other days.

clubs are thrown into the mix iwth kbs and I'm ready to start alternating max vo2 work ( met con) with the heavier snatch days.

215 x 1, 225 miss x 2, 205 x 1 x 5 , side and rear delts , floor pushups ( deep, paused) 3 x 9

 Didnt sleep well last night and that didn't help. 205 and 215 were strong ( but not fast) and sure enough I didn't have enough spee...