Monday, July 29, 2013

ack.


One of those days. The new brace is doing it's job and pushing the valgus knee inward but it's also putting things in positions they haven't been in in years, if ever and my ankle and soleus ain't liking it. So I went braceless today and went back to the rolling, stretching routine I've been doing for the last year + that let me walk so well up to now :)

It will take some time to adjust to all these changes but today was just tough.Still not sure if the pain I knew is better or worse than the pain I don't know. To wear the brace or not to wear the brace, that is the question.

Well let the surgeon I see tomorrow decide. First consult to see who get to surgerize my left knee and give me the bionic replacement :)  But today was  no brace at work or the workout although I almost didn't make it through the session. Left ankle would just not cooperate for the first 40 minutes or so, then it settled down and things felt normal again. Well, my old normal weird.
What can I say?

KB Press
16 kg x 5/5 x 2
20 kg x 5/5
24 kg x 3/3
          x 4/4
          x 5/5 x 3 rounds
72 reps
3816 lbs

the presses were better than easy but I had no base. My ankle/knee wouldn't  settle down for most of the work and it was just not comfortable. Good news was that the shoulder was fine and the presses were nothing. Wanted to do some heavy cleans after, which will be the new second lift but today was not the dya to start it.

Snatch
16 kg x 5/5
20 kg x 5/5
          x 6/6
          x 7/7
          x 8/8
          x 5/5
          x 6/6
          x 7/7
88 reps
3872 lbs

Everything felt easy and hard at the same time. Hard to stabilize and find my glutes,which were not at home at all in this, but the weight felt like nothing. Just get through this one.

Belt squats
40 kg x 20 x 3 sets

just dead now. Knee ok, hoping this would push re boot, and it did to a large extent but just beat now.

datsit
Sisu/

live to fight another day. Can't wait to see the Doc tomorrow. I don't think I've ever thought or said that in my entire life. But it's true now.

6 comments:

Kettlebell Courage Corner Seattle WA said...

Mark I have been reading your blog for some time now after getting into kettlebells a little less than two years ago. You put a lot of your person into these posts and it provides a lot of inspiration to many people I believe. Good luck tomorrow and I hope to read that you continue making progress forward with your knee.

shortnginger said...

good luck at the docs Mark

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks so much for reading and your support.glad it helps some.I am ready for this new phase which starts today.

Mark Reifkind said...

shortnginger,

thanks man I'm optimistic

shortnginger said...

the fact you train as you do and aim for continual improvement with your troublesome knee (and other joints!)- is a huge inspiration to me - 2 yrs ago i jolted my right hip whilst running and thought nothing of it some 6 months later it was still niggling to the point i could no longer run - finally went to the docs and diagnosis was pretty bad arthiritis in my right hip - 12 months later back in to docs and it has got even worse - they threaten replacement etc but i have chosen - at this point to keep moving rather than opt for surgery - i deal with the pain pretty much all day every day - running is no longer an option, cycling is in a fashion - but the only constant i have is good form swing/snatches for keeping my hip mobile - your blog(and tracys)/help has been and indeed is invaluable to me - many thanks Mark

Mark Reifkind said...

SNG,

wow,I understand exactly how you feel. I've heard that hip replacements are easier than knees and have great results. you'll know when you are ready.
I fought the 24/7 pain for years and years and last time it locked up I just had enough- realized the huge time waste this has become and that it was really an easy fix. just replace the damn thing.

I'm just done not being able to do basic human moves that almost everyone else can do without thinking about it.

I'm tired of thinking about how to walk :)

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...