Wednesday, February 27, 2013

20 rep two hand swings, 32 kg



Power swings were on the schedule today but since I didn't get much in the way of volume in Monday, and I've been feeling tight enough I switched it to ballistic swings. We went up to the Beast last week so I chose a more moderate weight, the 32 kg.

Cool thing is is that used to be a BEAR for me to two hand swing for sets of five,No lie. My back was iffy and my form was nowhere to be found as I couldn't train the two hander so I had nothing but the basic form to go off of. And my individuation of any form is rarely close to SOP. :)) Just the way it is,

Haven't done over 10 reps in this if forever so I settled on a 10-20 rep ladder as the base.
Got fully stretched out today as I had two cancels and plenty of time on the roller, stretching and hanging. Really needed this too.

Two Hand Swings
16 kg x 10
20 kg x 10
24 kg x10
28 kg x 8
32 kg x 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 ,20,20, 20
130 reps
9100 lbs

Not bad at all and power stayed high on all the sets, even at the end. The higher rep sets showed me a few technical things I needed as well so that was worth it alone.I wasn't keeping my upper arm on the ribs long enough as I came out of the bottom and when I didn't I would hear some rattling around in my shoulder.

Keeping the arm glued better and a tad later hip snatch made the whole things much more seamless. Cardio was fine as well. Nice to see.

Snatch holds
18 kg x 35
20 kg x 35
24 kg x 35
18 kg x 60 sec

these went great! I took a lesson from the GS guys and shifted my weight to the leg that the weight was under and things lined up so well. Much easier to hold the weight as well as get a better fixation position overhead. Nice. These are really coming along.

Rack walks
18 kg x 1200 feet.
200 ft per sets

definitely heavier. we alternated between a comp bell and the DD bell and the comp bell seemed much heavier. we weighed it after and it was just .8 heavier but definitely seemed harder.Good sets though.

two days rest before another 200 rep snatch day with the 22 kg in sets of 9/9/ :))

datsit.
Sisu/


5 comments:

shortnginger said...

hey Mark looks like your going well!
could you explain the snatch hold for me? how is it executed and what is the purpose of it?
many thanks Rich

Mark Reifkind said...

rich

thanks and yes training is progressing well. A little bit of travel will mess with it but not too much.

the snatch hold is the BEST shoulder stabilizer I have come across. the first thing I do for rotator cuff training and stability.
It really is helping me with shoulder flexion mobility and flexibility too.

It's simple, just snatch the bell overhead and hold it for various lengths of time ( 30 seconds minimum) with various weights. I have done 24 kg for 1.5 min and that what I'm shooting for.

Plus longer sets with the lighter weight.

make sure to snatch the bell up not press it as the press puts the shoulder in a different position.

shortnginger said...

thanks for that mark - makes sense - will look at integrating a few of these
keep up the amazing work
rich

Mark Reifkind said...

no problem rich :)

Mark Reifkind said...

no problem rich :)

Thursday Ruck

 Decent one.  Legs feeling heavy and tired but lungs and head good 45 lbs 6 laps 3 miles 60 min 175.2