Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Training the mind.


In the 35 years I've been training one thing is for sure. What you are really training is your mind.Unless that is accepted and understood very little in the way of progress is possible. If you have great talent you might be a shooting star but if one isn't to flame and really get no where over the long haul then the mind has to be focused and concentrated on intensely.
It really is a practice, a path or, ack, a lifestyle.One develops the minds ability BEFORE the mind develops the body.It is always that way.If you can't see it, you can't have it.SEE IT. Over and over and over.
I spent so much time doing visualization training as a gymnast and it is perhaps the greatest gift gymnastics training has given me.That and a serious good eye for observing movement.The two,though, go hand in glove.
So, the battle is always against weakness and cowardice; not doing what you made up your mind to do. Not doing it because it is hard, or it is uncomfortable or you are not in the mood. After the intial break in period no on is ever 'in the mood' to go where they are weakest and most vunerable and push themselves even deeper; just to try to make oneself stronger.Fire hardens steel.
Thats why I set simple tasks that I know I CAN do. It's just a matter of actually DOING it.Which is just a matter of will. So what I am really training everyday is my willpower, my discipline and determination.I am concious of that as well so I focus on it. When I want to stop short of my goal for that day I come to a crossroads; what will win now, strength or weakness?As I said, I set my sights low so I always know I can will. It 's like getting pr's with 2.5 pounds on each end of the bar( which for some reason many deride) : "inch by inch is a cinch, yard by yard is hard".
I imagine how I will feel if I quit and have to blog it, or,God forbid, lie or exagerate in my blog so as not to look weak. No can do. That always gets me going.Or how I will feel when I can note that I accomplish my goal for that day. Winning is good for testosterone, too, which is good for health and vitality. Even little wins.


One arm mind swings
16kgx10/10x2

53x15 reps per arm per set
22 sets
330 reps
17,490

Was really really beat from mondays workout and work these last three days. So it was total act of will just to get out to the garage today.I decided to only do one arm at time,( just like in max vo2 test) and overload that with double the reps I want on mondays. minute to 1.5 minte rest/sets. I went right after Joe finished his set.Wind was great. Got much stronger as the sets went on.

Snatch holds
16kg x60 sec x 3 sets

These were easy finally.

Rack walks
16 kg x1200 feet.
switch arms every 200 feet.

this was not bad but I am beat!

datsit, staying loose!

7 comments:

Royce said...

Very nice post man. Training affects so much more than just the body. The ability to persevere and carry through in itself has helped me tremendously.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks royce.

Unknown said...

another great post. you are like Obi-Wan Kenobi or Yoda teaching how to use the force... There is no try. There is only do.

Mark Reifkind said...

LOL, Tim, thanks man, I've been called yoda before,I think it's because I'm short and so good looking :))

Jim Ryan said...

Rif,
You collect all this great stuff you got between the ears back to back (sorry, gotta leave out the TOOL vids for this one) and you could have an inspirational best-seller on your hands. I'm serious.

I don't know if JDC reads your blog, but maybe a book of your accumulated wisdom needs to find its way on to amazon.com via DD!

More than KB OL & PL types could benefit from hearing this stuff and it might make you a buck or two!

And no, it isn't just my opinion, I'm willing to bet.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks man; but Pavel has been after me to write a book for awhile.Blogging is easy, writing is torture,lol. It'll happen eventually.

Mark Reifkind said...

and Tim, that IS true. There is no try.

195 x 1 x 9 205 x 1 225 x CLOSE! 205 x 1 20kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 30

 What a great day! Moved my grip and my stance back in. Concentrated on pushing UP on the bar un takeoff and then decided, during warmups, t...