Monday, July 09, 2007

100/100 one arm swings

PR time. Really really really didnt want to do this today but there was no getting away from the fact that I knew I could. Just didnt want to suffer that much but hey, I rarely feel like suffering that much and as they say, today was a good day to die. I had done 80/80 the last time I did this and it wasnt that hard but the grip was the hardest part. today was no exception.


One arm swings, 16 kg.
warmup
5/5/5/5x2

100/100
50/50
25/25/25/25
400 reps
14,400 pounds.

the 100/100 took no more than five minutes according to Joe. Not too bad a pace. I started with my right arm and the grip was cooking up real good by 75-80 reps. I had to keep relaxing the grip at the top of each rep to maintain. The wind and legs were fine. the left hand was much tougher, gripwise, than the first, suprisingly. I expected it to be the otherway around. Plus my HR and wind was getting involved at that point. I knew though that I could do it as soon as I started so there was no chickening out.
the 50/50 set wasnt that much easier as my forearms were popeye'ish by that time and loaded up quickly. wind and legs were fine. the same with the last set of 100 with 25's.I thought about doing another set but decided to play it safe.
Going to alternate this workout with the MVO2 day.

Snatch holds
16 kg x30 sec x 3 sets

Rack Walk with 16 kg
1600 continuous feet switching hands every 200 feet.

this was TOUGH, as my arms were pretty toasty by now. No way as bad as the snatch protocol day but still pretty tired.

datsit, time to stretch.



Addendum

I just realized why I shouldnt do this( max out reps on one side) on a regular basis. It really loads up the forearm flexors big time.Which I can then feel in my elbows and then my shoulders.
I'm not hurt at all; I just now see the connection.
For the same reason I know longer need to test the limits of my back,knee or shoulders I should use the same approach with my hands. I use my hands constantly in my work and they can't be messed up. Using the SSST approach and not taking the grip , but the system to the higher levels seems safer and more conducive to the gains I want. In my total body work capacity, not my grip endurance. Reps still stay high, just not all one one arm.Gotta keep them loose, just like the rest of the body.

10 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Impressive Rif! Most impressive!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks man, now I don't have to do that again for awhile.

Royce said...

JEEZ dude! I am not worthy! Seriously like Franz said very impressive.

Brett Jones said...

Reps suck! ;)
But they are great for you!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks royce. not bad if I say so myself.
Brett, these days hard is as close to heavy as I'm gonna get. Reps is hard and they dont cripple me.

Unknown said...

Rif, Maybe i should know, but what is SSST?

Mark Reifkind said...

tim,

Secret Service Snatch Test. max reps in 10 minutes.switch hands when you want, set it down if you want. total reps count.

Unknown said...

Mark, i figured it out as i was lying in bed last night. i asked b/c i was wondering how it spared your flexors in your forearms. I got it now, thanks.

Geoff Neupert said...

Next time, 150/150. Stop all this slacking! ;-)

Jim Ryan said...

"Ahh-gug-gug-gug-gug!"

Just eat some spinach and Bluto will be history!

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...