Thursday, May 20, 2010

Press and Snatch, back off day.



I've gone up in weight on both these exercises for the last two weeks and I knew I needed to back off the loading a bit. 'Step back, or fall off' I think is how I've put it in the past and it's time to implement my own advice.

I recovered well from Tuesdays swings, which makes me very happy; and it seems like I am actually developing some positive momentum in my training. Wow, what a concept. AS much as I like teaching it's so nice to stay in one place and actually have my weekends free for recovery.

Feeling strong feels so good and I was very happy, as well, when I warmed up with my cleans and everything felt light. That hasn't happened in a long time.My stance and groove must be agreeing with my back and knees as they haven't been complaining much either. Most excellent.

KB Cleans
16 kg x5/5
20 kg x5/5
24 kg x5/5
28 kg x5/5
32 kg x3/3

the 32 felt light and the rack position was solid. I know Pavel has said, and written, that the one arm kb clean is too easy and isn't really a great exercise for conditioning. I disagree. Not only is it the hardest for most to learn much less master, the small, tight arc the bell goes through lends itself for rapid alternations between the hip stretch of the backswing and the high total body tension position of the "loaded" clean.

Especially if one takes the time to really load the clean position after each rep, as if preparing for a max effort press. The short arc also makes this a very safe movement for all as the torques on the joints are lower.

Of course, one can up the anty by doing two bell cleans but this really changes everything; from width of stance to the lack of an asymmetrical movement. I loves me some one arm kettlebells and so does my back.

KB Press
16 kg x5/5
20 kg x4/4

24 kg x3/3 x 8 sets

These were so easy I couldn't believe it. FINALLY, the stinkin' 24 kg feels like the little weight that it is.It should feel like a 16 kg to me and it's getting there. I remember thinking it even looked small in between sets. Perfect.

I felt like I could do these sets all day, exactly the feeling of strength that I was looking for. LOTS of focus on perfect technique and groove and max tension throughout. Rooting and lat activation were also at a high point but I was most concentrated on pushing from the contact point of wrist to bell.

That is the key to my press groove these days and I making sure I don't forget this essential cue.

Snatch
16 kg x10/10
20 kg x10/10x2
x 9/9 x 2
x 8/8 x1 set
92 reps

Wow, these felt easy and Tracy said the weight looked like a toy. Nice, as that's how it felt. I haven't done 10 rep sets in eons and now, having confidence in my stance and groove it was no problem, except for my wind which needs some work. I still freakin' hate any reps over 5. It just ain't natural,lol.

Even though it's not the goal weight 24 kg it is as close to a 100 rep workout with anything more than the 16 in awhile. I'll take it.

Clubbell Mills

10 lb cb x 10/10 x 4 sets

These were unplanned and just for some variety as I worked with my crazy strong wife on her level 2 skills of pistols, bent presses and had more time to kill. It's nice to feel like doing more, and that it's safe to do so.

I was so impressed watching Scott Sonnon do 100 mills on each arm in 7 minutes something with the crazy ass, big and heavy 35 lb CB that I was inspired to do this move again. You need some very strong EVERYTHING to do heavy clubbell work. Just like kbs, just different,lol.


A day off then Max Vo2 again, this time with many more sets of 7 reps. Gotta keep the momentum going!

No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...