Monday, December 29, 2014

Military Press 85 lbs x 5s, barbell hack squats, floor pushups, sled



Wow. That was the best this  movement has EVER felt. For the first time since I started doing it,and the first time since probably 2000 when I was still strong in pressing movements I felt some power and strength in the press.
I really wondered if it would ever come around!
Even last week, even though I could get the reps fairly well it never FELT good in the rack position or overhead. Today it felt GREAT!
And I have no idea why, But I'll take it. My overhead stick work and dislocates are also feeling better, more flexible, and my ability to "set" my neck into neutral has really helped diminish any nerve pain the right arm and shoulder and that's been making a huge difference.
Plus the neck nods are also making a difference that I can feel.
So nice to finally know WHAT to do to makes things better. I don't mind doing the work, it just drives me crazy not knowing WHAT to do :)
This is going to turn into a very strong move for me now, I can feel it. AND a true new movement for me as I have never really even did it in the past, much less trained it.

Barbell Press
stick x 10 x 3
45 x 5 x 2
55 x 5
65 x 5
75 x 5
85 x 5 x 5!! PR and strong.

Barbell Hack squats
35 x 15 x 1
55 x 15 x 3

this is the right version for me. the kb just locks up on my hips and messes my balance up the barbell allows me to use my gorilla arms to an advantage. Light weight  here but I can see the potential. An Olympic bar with 25 lb plates will be perfect.  this really legs my knees move forward AND keep relatively upright. nice work


Floor pushups
4 sets of 12-10

medium close grip. I can really feel how the closer grips are getting the triceps which is really transferring to the military press

Hip sled
110 lbs x 250 ft x 4 laps

SO easy and strong. very solid

ok dats it.  a day off then 50 sets of 10 in speed swing!
neverquit


2 comments:

Morgan L. said...

Incredible progress on the press in just a few short months. Shows what commitment to a thoughtful plan can do.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Morgan I've pretty proud of it. Just the beginning too. I can feel my pressing strength coming back as well. It used to be my strong point
Next step
HANDSTANDS

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...