Saturday, October 10, 2009

Early morning training at Girya

The Maltese cross.One of the hardest of all and an unbelievable demonstration of total body tension mastery. One of the most intense planks you can do.I'm loving all the work we are doing with the plank at the HKC and RKC and have an renewed respect and appreciation for it.This is why gymnasts all have lats.
Nick was a no show today so Tracy invited me to train with her class today at Girya. Normally Nick shows up about 8 am and we do the real slow warmup and get to the actual lifting around 9 am or so.But Tracy cuts right to the chase and we were going off my lead( heavy snatch day)so I had to get going early and warmup fast.Plus, I was in front of her students so I had to do well. The fear of public speaking, as Pavel would say,lol.
I've performed athletically almost all my life, and have loved to do so . I was good at it. Still am. But I also know, from very painful experience, that when I 'push on the gas pedal' I tend to get hurt so I have trained myself NOT to push, or to even put myself in situations where I would be tempted to push.
One foot on the gas and two on the brake is how I describe my training these last 3 years. But I have been feeling much more aligned and balanced of late,recovery has been good and thought it safe to push a little bit.Of course I did yoga yesterday , these snatches today and have a Master class in a few hours so we will see how smart I really am,lol.
Now it's time to hyrdrate, rest up and stretch out a bit before class. Mainly make sure I don't start to stiffen up.
Slept well and ate well yesterday too and that always helps.All this high intensity training reminds me of my early days. It feels good to train hard and feel safe doing it.As I wrote early i LOVE that zone and it's nice to be able to visit it again a bit. I will be cautious though, because as good as that zone feels, NOT being in pain and being able to move normally feels way better, and I can't forget that.Ever.
Ever.
Gen Ovalle, Chris Gaines,RKC and Meg joined Tracy and I for the workout and it was intense.I talked Chris into using the 28 and he is a horse ,Gen used the 16 kg as did Tracy and Meg.
GO time.

Snatch
16 kg x5/5/5/5x2
20 kgx3/3/3/3x2

24 kg x 5/5/5/5x4 sets
x 10/10 x 1 set
x 5/5 x 3 sets

130 reps
6890 lbs
fast pace :))

Doesnt look like much when I write it down like that but it sure felt like much.Especially because these guys train much faster than I do when I am training 'heavy', even though I am sure it felt slow to them. I did here quite a bit of heavy breathing so people were working hard.It was basically 'I go, you go' and that's the first time I have done sets of 20 with the 24 kg in forever.I would have done a few more but it was getting to me and I knew I should back off. When I blistered up on my right hand from the different bell at Girya than I am used to at Stones I knew it was right. So I taped up and went to sets of 10.My left hammie was starting to get tight so I went to clubs while the group went into some insane swing combos of Tracys.Of course they 'warmed up" with Max Vo2 work for 12 mintues or so,lol.! crazy workloads so easily done. Tracy is a machine and coached throughout the whole workout.If you can talk through this stuff I'm impressed.
I'm impressed.

One arm shield casts
10 lbs x 10/10/10/10
15 lbs x 15-10 downhill ladder( somewhat with Tracys swing combo)
fast pace for me, not much rest

One arm mills
10 lbs x 10/10x2
x 10-15 uphill ladder 2 sets
15 lbs x 10/10 x 2 sets

two bell swipes
10 lbs x 15x 2
15 lbs x 12-15 up hill ladder

on the floor stretching and foam rolling.


this was good, nice to see my snatch form and work capacity are getting better all the time.

now,off to the master class, we'll see how THIS is,lol. 2 hours. Oh man.

datsit for now.

4 comments:

Diana said...

Mark,
Glad to hear all is going well with you and Tracy. I started to snatch with the 16kg today-ouch! But oh, such a "nice" ouch! I've been working hard with the kb's again and it feels really good to get back to 'em. Did my first ever 1/2 marathon on Thursday and that was big for me, but now to finish the HKC because.....Yeah, I got the RKC back on my mind again! Yeehaawwww!!

Jordan Vezina said...

Chris is a beast. If I nudge him he goes. He pulled 505 at the TSC despite virtually never deadlifting.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Diana,

good to hear you are thinking about the RKC, it's perfect goal for after you get your HKC finished and congrats on your half marathon.Tracy says hi!

Mark Reifkind said...

jordan

yeah, Chris looks like a natural deadlifter,especially with his swing technqiue